This year also sees the Spotlight on Africa originally scheduled for 2020. The recently announced Disney + sci-fi series Iwájú will be presented by WDAS and pan-African entertainment company Kugali.
At MIFA, the accompanying market for the festival, South African artist and host William kentridge will appear in conversation with N’Goné Fall, general commissioner of the French Africa2020 season (of which the Annecy spot is part). Kentridge will also receive a retrospective at the festival. Meanwhile, the Ivorian comic artist Marguerite Abouet and other guests will talk about the animation industry and their connection to Africa.
There will be making presentations on the latest features of Dreamworks The Boss Baby 2: Family business and Untamed spirit, Netflix Anthology Series Love, death + robots (whose second season premiered this month) and Baobab Studios’ VR project Namoo, which is directed by Erick Oh. An introductory presentation on the state of immersive entertainment will include an overview of Evolver – Prologue, a vr experiment led by Terrence Malick.
Finally, three women directors – Signe Baumane, Joanna Quinn, Martina Scarpelli – will speak in a masterclass on their career choices and the themes underlying their works.
Many other events had already been announced, including:
- 17 presentations of work in progress
- An animation projection of the Maghreb
- Lady Buckit and the Motley Mopsters, a Nigerian feature film by Adebisi Adetayo
- The MIFA conference “Understanding African animation: collaboration at the heart of today’s and tomorrow’s strategies”
- An MIFA presentation of 21 projects from Africa (plus a comic book project for adaptation)
- MIFA Pitches for Feature Films, Shorts, TV Series and Specials, Digital Experiences and Comics
To find the films in competition this year, click here for the feature films and here for everything else. To discover the festival and MIFA programs in their entirety, visit the Annecy website.
Stay tuned to Cartoon Brew for full Annecy coverage – including more information on the online offering.